Arsenal 2-2 Man Utd

Scorer(s): Nelson ’33, Nketiah ’38 – Harrop ’72, own goal ’82

A brilliant second half resurgence from Man United earned them a valuable point at the Emirates on Monday evening.

Though Arsenal dominated the first half with ease and could have scored three or four, they could only out two past Kieran O’Hara.

Josh Harrop had United’s only chance of the first half very early on, his shot deflected for a corner. After that, it was all the home side.

Savage Mourgos showed a sign of things to come as he touched down a chipped through ball. The linesman has his flag up, though.

Chrissy Willock, one of the three Willock brothers who were eventually on the pity by the second half, slipped in the area to give United a bit of relief. Eddie Nketiah had a shot deflected wide as he was one-on-one.

United’s defence lacked awareness, though, and the chances kept coming. Kieran O’Hara did well to clear a ball after a woeful weak back pass. Mourgos missed a fantastic one-on-one opportunity, pulling it wide of the left post.

Arsenal captain Ben Sheaf had a weak header go wide but they took the lead soon after. Reiss Nelson poked home a pullback from Cohen Bramall. He got past Olosunde easily with no help from right-winger Gribbin. Nelson had escaped the attention of everyone in the United defence running from the left into space.

Nketiah grabbed a second as he found a yard of space and fired into the bottom right corner.

There could have been two or three more for half-time. Arsenal’s final ball didn’t always come off.

Though United didn’t come out after the break all guns blazing, once they’d settled once more, a spell of dominance followed. The introduction of Tosin Kehinde into midfield helped.

Matt Macey was forced into a number of saves. Growing with confidence, United moved forward with much greater fluidity.

Josh Harrop unleashed a powerful, low drive past Macey to get one back. Kieran O’Hara made a fantastic penalty save from substitute Donyell Mayen after a poor decision by the referee, the foul had been in the box.

Harrop’s cross across goal was turned in by an Arsenal defender soon after to draw level deservedly.

The game became end-to-end. Josh Bohui was brought down in the area after Arsenal recovered, the Englishman having been played through. No penalty was given.

Cameron Borthwick-Jackson was forced into a fantastic block and Maitland-Niles had a shot deflected wide.

It’s a vital point for Unitd and a well-earned one after a brilliant resurgence. It’s one that will do a struggling team’s confidence a world of good.