Tottenham Hotspur U23 1-1 Manchester United U23

Scorer(s): Shayon Harrison, ’31 – Joe Riley, ’20

#thfc XI: Glover; Muscatt, Stylianides, Amos (C), Owens, Maghoma, Walker-Peters, Walkes, Harrison, Goddard, Georgiou.
#mufc XI: Henderson; Williams, Tuanzebe, Poole, Riley, Goss (Kehinde 77), El Fitouri, Olosunde (Warren 82), Willock, Harrop (Mitchell 58), Redmond.

Manchester United under-23s deserved their point at Spurs’ Hotspur Way training ground after going ahead after 20 minutes through left-back Joe Riley.

A tight second half saw both sides fail to convert chances, but Tottenham stopped a rot of five consecutive losses in Premier League 2.

Spurs dominated the opening stages, quickly wasting a corner and keeping Dean Henderson, able to play despite being on loan at Grimsby Town, busy. Kyle Walker-Peters and Shayon Harrison were both dangerous early on, the former inviting a challenge from Josh Harrop which earned the Canadian a booking.

Despite Spurs’ dominance, it was United who took the lead. Sean Goss provided a wonderful 40-yard crossfield through ball to Joe Riley, who strode onto the ball and into the penalty area, racing away from his marker. He dummied one defender before a reverse finish past goalkeeper Tom Glover in the 20th minute.

Spurs responded quickly, reasserting themselves at home after conceding. Their first clear chance was converted clinically by the excellent Shayon Harrison, pouncing on a rebound off Ro-Shaun Williams from Cy Goddard’s shot.

Without a natural striker, United have often resorted to a defensive tactic after going ahead. The equaliser prevented that, and United were the better side because of that, particularly after the break.


Ro-Shaun Williams (foreground) in action

Pressure on the Tottenham defence, previously content to pass between themselves, forced chances for the visitors. Sean Goss, returning from injury after a second lengthy injury, was greatly impressive, his physique having improved and hardly looking like his first game since pre-season. He had a shot power wide of Glover’s goal in a half-chance.

Josh Harrop was forced off with injury as Demi Mitchell was introduced with 30 minutes remaining.

That early spell of pressure was not replicated for the entire half. Spurs came extremely close to beating Henderson on two occasions, with a penalty shout in between. Walker-Peters was played through by Joe Muscatt only to see his effort saved by Henderson. Anthony Georgiou was booked for simulation as he fell in the box, challenged by Joe Riley, before Regan Poole blocked a shot from the much-involved Harrison.

The returning Goss left the pitch after an impressive 78 minutes, a fantastic first performance since coming back. Matthew Olosunde, who had infrequent stunning bursts of pace on the right flank, had a shot caught by Glover after deflecting off a defender.

Both sides were far from defensive in the second half, but the game became scrappy in moments. United now have a break until November 21st when they play Sunderland at home.